The bacon and bacon grease give these chocolate chip cookies an extra depth of smoky flavor.
YIELD 2 dozen
ZEST FACTOR none
PREP TIME 1 hour
COOK TIME 25 minutes
4 slices thick-cut bacon
1 cup flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
pinch baking powder
½ stick butter, softened
¾ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg, beaten
½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. In a skillet over medium, cook the bacon until crispy, about 5 minutes per side. Set aside on a paper towel–lined plate, reserving the grease in a small bowl. Refrigerate the grease for a few minutes to allow it to solidify.
2. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375°F.
3. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder in a bowl and set aside.
4. In a mixing bowl, beat the butter, bacon grease, sugar and vanilla. Mix in the egg and slowly add the flour until everything is incorporated. Crumble the bacon into the dough and add the chocolate chips, stirring to combine.
5. Chill the dough for 30 minutes. When ready to bake, drop the dough 1 tablespoon at a time onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, leaving space for the cookies to spread. Bake for 11–12 minutes. Cool on a rack before serving.
Get more recipes like this in our April 2017 issue, available in print and through Magzter!