Bananas Foster, a popular dessert in NOLA, is transformed into a breakfast dish. We kept it traditional by using rum in the glaze, but feel free to swap in regular ole milk.
YIELD 16 rolls
ZEST FACTOR MILD
PREP TIME 10 minutes
COOK TIME 15 minutes
For the rolls:
4 tablespoons butter
½ cup sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
½ cup packed dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 ripe bananas, coarsely chopped
1 cup chopped pecans
2 (8-ounce) packages crescent rolls
For the glaze:
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon ground cayenne
4 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons dark rum
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray two 9-inch round baking dishes with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Make the rolls: In a bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, cinnamon, brown sugar and vanilla. Fold in the bananas and pecans.
3. Unroll both crescent dough sheets and evenly spread the filling mixture on top of each. Roll both pieces of dough from the longest side and cut each into 8 slices. Arrange the rolls into the baking dishes and gently pull apart the centers so that the rolls “open” as they cook.
4. Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
5. Meanwhile, make the glaze: Whisk together all the ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
6. To serve, drizzle the glaze over the rolls and dig in.