These were so delicious that the CP test kitchen staff joked about starting a food truck business on the side. The nuggets of heaven taste like home, and are so easy to serve and eat on a stick. For an appetizer at a dinner party, just make smaller balls.
YIELD 1 dozen
ZEST FACTOR Mild
PREP TIME 10 minutes
COOK TIME 15–20 minutes
1/2 pound ground beef
1/2pound ground hot Italian sausage
3 eggs, divided
1 (1.25-ounce) package onion soup mix
2 cups breadcrumbs, divided
3 tablespoons spicy ketchup
1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
salt and ground cayenne to taste
3/4 cup leftover mashed potatoes
1/2 cup all -purpose flour
oil for frying
parsley for garnish
1. In a fryer or high-walled pot, preheat the oil to 375ºF.
2. In a large bowl, using your hands, combine the meat, 1 egg, the soup mix, 1 cup breadcrumbs, plus the ketchup, Worcestershire, salt and cayenne.
3. Roll the mashed potatoes into 12 balls (about 1 tablespoon per ball).
4. Roll 2 tablespoons meatloaf mixture in the palm of your hand, then flatten to 1⁄2-inch thickness. Place a mashed potato ball in the center of the meat patty, then wrap into a ball. Repeat with the remaining meat and potatoes.
5. Set up a dredging station: Whisk the remaining eggs in a bowl. Pour the remaining breadcrumbs on a plate and the flour on another.
6. Coat the meatloaf balls in the flour, then transfer to the egg wash, then dredge in the breadcrumbs.
7. Working in batches, fry the meatloaf balls until cooked through and golden brown, about 5 minutes per batch.
8. Skewer with popsicle sticks and dip in gravy or spicy ketchup. Garnish with parsley and serve hot.
Get this recipe and many more in our April 2016 issue, available digitally on Magzter in the App Store (hello, instant access!) or in print at www.chilepepper.com (click on “subscribe”).