by Vic Clinco
You are going to love me. This is equal parts tangy, superhot and incredibly tasty. Achiote has a deep, peppery and ever so slightly sweet flavor, infused into this hot, hot chicken.
Yield 4 servings
Prep Time overnight
Zest Factor Hot
Cook Time 35 minutes
4 Chicken leg quarters
1 (3.5-ounce) package Achiote paste
4 Habaneros, stemmed
2 Serranos, stemmed
6 Garlic cloves
1 cup chopped cilantro
1 Lime, zested and juiced, plus more for garnish
1 Orange, zested and juiced
1 teaspoon Carolina Reaper powder
salt and pepper to taste
1. Place the chicken in a mixing bowl and set aside.
2. In a blender or food processor, puree the achiote, peppers, garlic, cilantro, both fruit zests and juice, and the reaper powder. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the puree over the chicken, toss to evenly coat, cover and let marinate in the fridge overnight.
3. Take the chicken out of fridge and let stand until at room temperature, about 30 minutes.
4. Preheat a grill to a medium, with an area for direct heat and another for indirect.
5. Grill the chicken for 5–6 minutes per side. Move to indirect heat and cook for 20 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
6. Serve garnished with lime wedges and zest.