These dark chocolate brownies are bumped up with a glossy glaze—and a kick of Irish cream liqueur!
YIELD about 1 dozen
ZEST FACTOR Medium
PREP TIME 30 minutes
COOK TIME 30 minutes
For the brownies:
1¼ sticks unsalted butter, melted
¾ cup dark cocoa powder
¾ cup white sugar
1 teaspoon chipotle powder
1 tablespoon molasses
1 tablespoon espresso or instant-coffee powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons Irish cream liqueur, like Baileys
½ cup all-purpose flour
For the ganache:
1 cup heavy whipping cream
8 ounces dark chocolate chips
1 teaspoon cayenne powder, plus more for garnish
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9-x-9-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
2. Make the brownies: In a large mixing bowl, mix the melted butter, cocoa powder, sugar, chipotle powder, molasses, coffee and
vanilla together. Beat in the egg and pinch of salt. Sift the flour into the chocolate mixture, stirring until incorporated. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 30 minutes, until it passes the toothpick test. Set aside to cool before removing the brownies onto a cooling rack.
3. Meanwhile, make the ganache: In a small saucepan, bring the heavy cream to a light simmer—do not boil!
4. Pour the simmering cream over the chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl and let sit for a few minutes. Add the cayenne and whisk the ganache until smooth and glossy. Finish it off with the butter and whisk until combined.
5. Pour the ganache over the cooled brownies and sprinkle with cayenne for garnish. Cut into bars and serve.