My mouth is watering just thinking about these scrumptious bites. Dense, and packed with flavor and intense heat, these are lovingly deep-fried to a golden-brown deliciousness. Diet tomorrow, enjoy today!
YIELD 4 servings
ZEST FACTOR Hot
PREP TIME 2½ hours
COOK TIME 20 minutes
4 baking potatoes, peeled
½ cup grated Gruyere
2 Ghost peppers, minced
1 small yellow onion, minced
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons minced chives plus more for garnish
2 tablespoons minced parsley plus more for garnish
2 tablespoons minced rosemary
1 teaspoon Coriander
1 teaspoon ground Cayenne
1 teaspoon Smoked Ghost Pepper powder
Vegetable oil for frying
1 cup flour, divided
½ cup heavy cream
1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
salt and pepper to taste
1. Add the potatoes to a pot of heavily salted water on high and parcook for 15 minutes. Drain, pat dry, then chill for 2 hours.
2. Grate the potatoes and place in a mixing bowl. Add the cheese, peppers, onions, garlic, herbs and spices and mix to combine. Form the potato mixture into 12 palm-size balls; you can use a little water to smooth out the edges and any cracks that may form. Set aside.
3. Warm the oil over high in a deep-sided pan or skillet.
4. Set up a breading station: Place ½ cup flour in a shallow bowl. Whisk the remaining flour, heavy cream and egg in a second bowl to form a slurry. Place the breadcrumbs in a third bowl.
5. Roll each potato ball in the flour, dip into the slurry, then roll in the breadcrumbs. Set aside.
6. Cook the potato balls in batches for 5-6 minutes, until golden brown.
7. Gently insert 1 stick into each tater tot. Serve hot garnished with fresh parsley and chives.