Here’s a take on scalloped potatoes, turning the presentation on its side, literally. Our version has meat in between every few slices of cheesy potato, making it a bit more filling—as long as you’re okay with loading on the carbs. (We are, for the record!)
YIELD 6–8 servings
ZEST FACTOR Mild
PREP TIME 20 minutes
COOK TIME 1 hour, 5 minutes
4 tablespoons butter, melted
salt and pepper to taste
½ tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
5-6 medium red potatoes, thinly sliced
8 ounces prosciutto
1 cup heavy cream
1 egg, beaten
1 cup shredded pepper jack
chopped fresh parsley for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Grease a casserole dish with 1 tablespoon butter. Combine the remaining butter with the salt, pepper, thyme, garlic powder and pepper flakes in a bowl. Add the potato slices and toss to coat.
3. Arrange the potato slices so that they “stand” on their sides in the casserole dish. Wedge a piece of prosciutto in between every few slices.
4. Whisk together the cream and egg in a small bowl and pour on top of the potatoes. Sprinkle with cheese, trying to get some cheese in between some of the potato slices, and bake for 1 hour, or until tender.
5. Broil the potatoes for 5 minutes, until the top edges are golden brown. Garnish with parsley and serve warm.