Forget sweet crepes—we’re going savory and zesty. If you’re a fan of lox and bagels, you’re going to love this combo.
YIELD about 12 crepes
ZEST FACTOR Mild
PREP TIME 30 minutes
COOK TIME 15 minutes
For the crepes:
1 cup flour
1½ cups whole milk, divided
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons dried dill
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for cooking
For the filling:
4 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
2 teaspoons capers, minced
2 green onions, sliced and divided
4 ounces smoked salmon
4 ounces Prosciutto
1. Make the crepes: Whisk together the flour, eggs, ½ cup milk, salt and pepper in a bowl until smooth. Stir in the remaining milk and the pepper flakes and dill. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Make the filling: Cream the cream cheese, capers and half the green onions in a bowl. Set aside.
3. When ready to cook the crepes, gradually whisk the melted butter into the cold batter. Add ¼ tablespoon butter to a 8-inch nonstick frying pan over medium.
4. Pour ¼ cup batter into the hot pan, swirling the pan to coat. Cook each side of the crepe for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until golden yellow. Repeat with the remaining butter and batter. (The crepes can be stacked with a piece of parchment paper in between each and kept warm in an oven set at 200°F, or cooled and then stored in the refrigerator for a few days before use.)
5. To serve, smear the crepes with the cream cheese and layer with the salmon and prosciutto. Fold in half, then fold in half again and garnish with green onions.
Get more recipes like this in our April 2017 issue, available in print and through Magzter!