This dish is on the mild side, but feel free to amp it up by sprinkling in ghost pepper powder or adding your favorite hot sauce to the cheese sauce. But before you go all spice-crazy, try this without added heat; the truffle butter and mushroom combo is so heavenly and delicate that you may not want to add too much.
YIELD 6–8 servings
ZEST FACTOR Mild
PREP TIME 10 minutes
COOK TIME 25 minutes
For the gratin:
2 (12-ounce) packages mushroom ravioli
3 tablespoons truffle butter
4 tablespoons flour
1 garlic clove, minced
1 shallot, minced
¼ teaspoon ground cayenne
1 cup milk
1 cup shredded gouda
1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
For the topping:
2 tablespoons melted truffle butter
½ cup zesty breadcrumbs
1. Make the gratin: Cook the ravioli according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
2. Melt the butter in a cast-iron skillet over medium. Add the butter, flour, garlic, shallots and cayenne. Mix until combined.
3. Slowly whisk in the milk. Once bubbling, reduce the heat to low and simmer until the mixture thickens, about 2–3 minutes. Add both cheeses and stir to melt.
4. Add the ravioli to the skillet and toss to coat.
5. Make the topping: Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl. Sprinkle on top of the ravioli.
6. Broil the casserole in the oven for 3 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Serve hot.