This super-decadent, super-cheesy mac and cheese is spiced up with Trinidad Scorpion chiles. They will sting you good, but man, it’ll be worth it.
YIELD 4 servings
ZEST FACTOR hot
PREP TIME 10 minutes
COOK TIME 25 minutes
1 tablespoon Olive oil
1 Shallot, minced
4 Garlic cloves, minced
1 (4-ounce) package cubed prosciutto
3 Trinidad Scorpion peppers, seeded and minced
¼ cup Clarified butter
2½ cups Whole milk
1 cup Gruyére, grated
1 (16-ounce) package cooked ziti
1 (12-ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
¼ teaspoon ground cayenne for garnish
1. Warm the oil a large pan over medium. Add the shallots and garlic and sweat for 2 minutes, until soft and translucent.
2. Add the prosciutto and peppers—be careful of the fumes. Cook for 3–5 minutes, just until the prosciutto starts to get crispy around the edges. Drain as much oil as possible and set aside.
3. Place the butter in a large pan over medium. Gradually whisk in the flour, about 1 minute.
4. Slowly whisk in the milk. Be sure to maintain your heat—do not let it get too hot or bubble up. Gradually add the cheeses, stirring to melt. When the sauce is smooth, stir in the prosciutto, pasta and peas to warm through.
5. Serve hot, garnished with cayenne.